Last Updated on September 5, 2022 by Admin
By ESTELLE PULESTON
As the story on the Titov website goes, it was in the middle of a long, 109°F day at work that a very frustrated Masha Titova whipped off her uncomfortable, unbreathable bra and made up her mind to design a line of lingerie that “doesn’t distract me from my busy life”.
“From day one we started with one goal which was to create a comfortable bra”, explains Masha, whose previous experience includes product design at BCBGMAXAZRIA and Marc Jacobs as well as production management for Yeezy.
The result is a line of primarily wirefree bras made from lightweight, semi-sheer fabrics, and with carefully-tested straps placements that avoid them slipping off as you move around. Every design element in fact is thoroughly tested and trialed for weeks before it gets the final sign-off, to ensure it meets Masha’s strict standards for comfort.
Aesthetically, the Titov line displays a strong preference for geometric patterns, inspired by Masha’s love of architecture and especially Art Deco era buildings. The color combinations though feel fresh and modern, with lots of vibrant yellow trims thrown in as well as sheer-paneled elastics.
A significant number of the garments are ‘one of a kind’ or limited-edition creations, made from deadstock fabrics which are only available in tiny quantities. Creating a sustainable brand is essential to Masha, who aims to source recycled materials alongside these deadstock ones, and who ensures that every scrap of leftover fabric is sorted for either donation or recycling.
Additionally, all deliveries are carbon neutral, and she also sews roughly 80% of the garments herself on a made-to-order basis to limit overproduction; the other 20%, the brand’s core styles, are made by a manufacturer in Los Angeles.
Launched at the beginning of 2019, Titov has already appeared in ELLE magazine, but this year is celebrating accomplishing Masha’s biggest dream of all – to appear on the official calendar of New York Fashion Week. The brand is also releasing a lookbook and video this September 11th on NYFW.com.
Titov prices range from $14-$47 for bottoms and from $30-98 for bralettes. Designed for a somewhat flexible fit, the bras are available in a mix of lettered sizing (XXS-L) for smaller cup sizes and sizes 32E/F to 40C/D for larger cup and band sizes.